Sunday, November 14, 2010

Cookie Sampling: Ruby et Violette

After lunch with my coworkers last week, we decided to check out a cookie shop I recently discovered in the area.   I remembered reading a food blog post about the “best chocolate chip cookies in NYC” that featured Ruby et Violette in the top ten.  I was so excited to see that such a famed cookie establishment was in my neighborhood.

Ruby et Violette isn’t your ordinary cookie shop – they have a huge selection of flavors (apparently over 100 throughout the year), and the only recognizable flavor is “Perfect”, their rendition of the classic chocolate chip cookie.  It’s a very cute little shop that’s all white inside and has some café style seating inside.  Besides cookies, they also sell various kinds of brownies and ice cream (definitely something I’ll be sampling during my next visit)

As I approached the counter and eyed the 20 different flavors of cookies available that day, I was a bit overwhelmed.  There were so many cookies to choose from, and being the cookie monster that I am, I wanted them all.  But alas, being $2 / cookie (and that was the “special of the day” too, typically $2.50 each), I decided it was best not to drop $40 on cookies.  I opted to get six different cookies to split with my husband.  Behold, the chosen ones:

Top: Perfect, Friday Night Foosball, Peanut Butter Chip
Bottom: The Breakup, Carrot Cake, Cookies 'n' Cream

Perfect:  The quintessential chocolate chip cookie.  What I love about this version is the massive chocolate chunks used rather than chocolate chips – the more chocolate, the better.

Friday Night Foosball:  It’s a snack mix cookie.  It’s filled with peanuts, pretzels, chex mix, and dark chocolate.  Very tasty - I liked the playfulness of the cookie and the sweet / salty contrast. 

Peanut Butter Chip:  One of my favorites.  The peanut butter and chocolate combo can do no wrong in my book.

The Breakup:  Oatmeal, peanut butter, caramel, dark chocolate and smoked salt.  The smoked salt touch was definitely prominent and brought out the flavors of the other components – tasty and unique but not something I’d order again.

Carrot Cake:  I love carrot cake, so I thought I’d love this carrot cake cookie.  The cookie was a bit more fragile than the others because of the creaminess of the cookie dough and the added cream cheese frosting in the middle.  It was on the right track in terms of carrot cake taste, but at the end of the day, I’d rather have the real thing.

Cookies ‘n’ Cream:  I love all things cookies ‘n’ cream and this cookie was up to snuff.  The cookie dough was swirled with chocolate sandwich cookies – what more could you ask for?

Overall, the cookie sampling was a tasty success and my tummy was happy.  I will be going back to Ruby et Violette to try their other flavors!

Ruby et Violette
457 West 50th Street (between 9th and 10th)
New York, NY 10019
212.582.6720

0 comments:

Post a Comment