Thursday, March 3, 2011

Pozole: Mexican Chicken-Hominy Soup

At this time of year (although now it's March and shouldn't be this cold), it’s so chilly outside that all I want to eat is a good bowl of soup.  I saw this recipe for Mexican Chicken-Hominy Soup in Cooking Light Magazine, their version of pozole – it looked delicious and super easy to make (and is healthy!), so I thought I’d try it out. 

I went to the grocery store and picked up an already cooked rotisserie chicken and then walked around the store looking for hominy.  Argh.  They didn’t have hominy, one of the main ingredients!  I settled for sweet corn as a substitute and went back home, feeling a bit defeated. 

I felt much better as I started cooking.  Did I mention how easy this is to make?  This soup came together very quickly and even though I was missing my hominy, the soup still tasted great without it!  


 Chopped onions and jalapenos

 Yummy and pretty


Mexican Chicken-Hominy Soup
Cooking Light Magazine, December 2010

Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 25 min
Serves: 4

Ingredients

1  tablespoon olive oil
1 3/4  cups chopped onion
3  garlic cloves, minced
1  jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
2  cups shredded skinless, boneless rotisserie chicken breast
1/4  teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2  (14-ounce) cans fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
1  (15.5-ounce) can hominy, rinsed and drained
1/2  cup thinly sliced radishes
2  tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
4  lime wedges

Directions

1.    Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion to pan; sauté 2 minutes.

2.    Stir in garlic and jalapeño; sauté 1 minute. Add chicken, black pepper, and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes.

3.    Stir in hominy; bring to a boil. Cook 5 minutes. Ladle about 1 1/2 cups soup into each of 4 bowls; top each serving with 2 tablespoons radishes and 1 1/2 teaspoons cilantro.  Serve with lime wedges.

0 comments:

Post a Comment