Saturday, June 18, 2011

Tehuitzingo – Mexico en Nueva York Señoras y Señores

Today's post is compliments of Piggie Hubby.  Born and raised in Mexico, this piggie knows his tacos.  

I have searched endlessly for a place that would remind me of the delicious dishes I grew up eating in Mexico.  My search for those treats, tacos, quesadillas, tostadas, tortas, has spanned numerous cities with the hopes of finding the restaurant that would remind me of the comforts of home with a single bite.  Hidden in the back of a tiny Mexican grocery store in Hell’s Kitchen, I finally found the answer to my quest: Tehuitzingo.

In hindsight, I should have known that my search would end as soon as I entered Tehuitzingo and found myself surrounded by the familiar décor of a traditional deli in Mexico: shelves stocked with traditional spices, salsas, sweet treats, canned goods, and friendly faces.  Beyond the groceries and after walking past a set of fridges filled with Mexican drinks (Sidral, Sangria, Jumex juices), there’s a tiny space lined with chairs and small bench-tables against the walls.  In the back, there is a small window opening where you can order and see the machinery behind homemade Mexican cuisine.

The authentic flavors of home:

Pozole: Delicious hominy soup topped with lime and cilantro and served with a side of tostadas (only available on Sundays).
 


Tacos: We ordered chorizo con papas, bistek, and chicharron con salsa verde, but I would recommend anything off that menu.  Try them all!


Service: Warm and friendly, though you may experience a longer wait if you go during peak times.  It gets crowded in the tiny space, but it’s worth the wait.  Tip: Order delivery.

Ambience: Laid back and unassuming.  Keep in mind that it is in the back of a grocery store; everyone who goes there knows they are in for some really good food.

Score: 4 out of 5 piggies.  Let the mariachis sing!  Putting aside the sentimental value, Tehuitzingo delivers the taste of Mexico in a simple and flavorful menu like no other place that I have tried.

Tehuitzingo
695 10th Avenue
New York, NY 10036
(212) 397-5956

0 comments:

Post a Comment