Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Satisfying My Six Month Tiramisu Craving

For roughly six months now, I have been craving tiramisu.  Three months ago I got a slice from a nearby Italian restaurant only to be sourly disappointed, and so the craving continued on, unsatisfied.  I had to take matters into my own hands…the result is this giant tiramisu made by yours truly.  I think it’s safe to say I will have fully satisfied my craving after this is all gone.

 The solution to a six month tiramisu craving

One thing I learned from this tiramisu making experience…it’s definitely not for the health conscious.  Lots of heavy cream, mascarpone cheese, egg yolks, and lady fingers, yum.  I try to “healthify” recipes where I can, but in this case, you can’t skimp, nor should you if you want a true tiramisu!

A couple notes for those of you who want to try this at home:  1) make sure you fully beat the heavy cream so that there are nice stiff peaks (I stopped short and my tiramisu turned out not quite the consistency I wanted) and 2) if you want more of the coffee flavor, dip your lady fingers in the Kahlua longer (but not too long as the lady fingers will get soggy). 

Tiramisu is actually pretty easy to make – no baking required and just pile a bunch of lady fingers and cream together.  Voila.  Let me know how it turns out for you!

 Assembling the cookie / creamy goodness

 Soon to be in my tummy

Classic Tiramisu
Recipe from allrecipes
Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 30 min
Serves: 12

Ingredients

6 egg yolks
1 1/4 cups white sugar
1 1/4 cups mascarpone cheese
1 3/4 cups heavy whipping cream
2 (12 ounce) packages ladyfingers
1/3 cup coffee flavored liqueur
1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder, for dusting
1 (1 ounce) square semisweet chocolate

Directions

1. Combine egg yolks and sugar in the top of a double boiler, over boiling water. Reduce heat to low, and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and whip yolks until thick and lemon colored.

2. Add mascarpone to whipped yolks. Beat until combined. In a separate bowl, whip cream to stiff peaks. Gently fold into yolk mixture and set aside.

3. Split the lady fingers in half, and line the bottom and sides of a large glass bowl. Brush with coffee liqueur. Spoon half of the cream filling over the lady fingers. Repeat ladyfingers, coffee liqueur and filling layers. Garnish with cocoa and chocolate curls. Refrigerate several hours or overnight.

4. To make the chocolate curls, use a vegetable peeler and run it down the edge of the chocolate bar.

0 comments:

Post a Comment