Friday, May 6, 2011

Eat Sandwich Feel Good: City Sandwich

I’ve been on a sandwich kick…ever since I’ve had teeth (a pretty long time).  Crusty bread, meat, and cheese stacked high then preferably toasted, pressed, or grilled in some way.  Now that’s a meal.  So you see, when I found out a new sandwich shop was opening up in the HK ‘hood in October of last year, I knew I had to try it.

With an unassuming name like City Sandwich, you wouldn’t expect it to offer anything more than your average midtown deli sandwich.  Oh, if you only knew how wrong you were.  As you step into the entrance, you immediately are greeted by the fragrant scent of golden bread, the finest meats and cheeses, and all of the other delicious fresh ingredients emanating from the kitchen. 

As I stared at the menu, I found myself in a bit of a predicament.  Everything looked so good, I had no idea what to order!  Luckily, it didn’t really matter because I plan on working my way through the menu anyways.   

Here’s what I ordered:

Henrique, Portuguese alheira vinegar sausage, steamed collard greens, grilled onions, melted mozzarella, tomato: Where do I begin?  First of all, the bread.  THE quintessential bread.  It’s crusty on the outside, yet chewy, and has a hint of sweetness – honestly, if they were to forget to construct my sandwich and just hand me a roll, I would be happy because this bread really is that good.  Secondly, I didn’t know that I loved collard greens.  This sandwich managed to open my tastebuds to the joys of collard greens.  Paired with the Portuguese sausage that practically melted into the bread (and my mouth), the Henrique was a homerun.      

That's 100% natural gooeyness


Panna Cotta, with strawberry port wine sauce: You would never think you would be able to get a dessert like this at a sandwich shop.  I haven’t had many Panna Cottas in my day, so I am by no means an expert, but I do know that this particular Panna Cotta tasted amazing.  It was so smooth, creamy, light and was topped with the perfect amount of port wine sauce. 
 
 Fanciest dessert I've had out of a plastic cup

Score: 4 out of 5 piggies.  Their slogan is "Eat Good Feel Good" but allow me to break it down for you.  Good = Sandwich.  Therefore, Eat Sandwich Feel Good.  I’m ready to go back and try my next sandwich! 

City Sandwich
649 Ninth Avenue
New York, NY 10036
(646) 684-3943

0 comments:

Post a Comment