Sunday, January 23, 2011

Sweet Potato Biscuits

One of my absolute favorite foods is sweet potatoes.  Whether I’m at a restaurant or perusing recipes, whenever I stumble upon something with sweet potatoes, I’m instantly sold.  The other day I was trying to be good and went to the gym, only to sit on the bike and read gossip magazines.  I picked up an issue of SELF magazine to read as well, and to my delight, it featured a recipe for sweet potato biscuits!  I was so excited to make these, especially since the recipe is so simple and only needs 5 ingredients – very quick and easy!

The original recipe uses whole wheat biscuit mix as the base – my grocery store didn’t have this, so I settled for Bisquick.  I had to use a bit more Bisquick than the recipe called for in order to get the dough to the right texture, otherwise it was too moist and sticky.  I also altered the cook time to 25 minutes because my biscuits were still raw at the 15 minute mark.  I had to wait a few extra minutes, but boy, these biscuits were well worth the wait!  The recipe makes a total of eight biscuits, and as always, my husband and I always split everything down the middle.  I’m slightly embarrassed to say that I managed to polish off my four biscuits within the same day.  Yes, these biscuits are THAT good.

I'm already drooling

 oh boy oh boy oh boy


Sweet Potato Biscuits
Recipe from SELF Magazine

Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 8 - 10 min
Serves: 8 servings

Ingredients

1 medium sweet potato (about 5 oz)
1 1/4 cups whole-wheat biscuit mix
2 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cubed
1/2 cup lowfat buttermilk
1/4 teaspoons ground allspice

Directions

1.  Wrap sweet potato in a paper towel. Microwave on high until soft, 4 minutes.

2.  Scoop flesh into a bowl and mash; set aside. Heat oven to 400°.

3.  Place biscuit mix and butter in a bowl; rub butter into mix with fingertips until large pea-sized crumbs form.

4.  Add sweet potato, buttermilk and allspice; mix until just combined. Transfer dough onto a cookie sheet and form into a 12" x 4" rectangle.

5.  Cut into 8 rectangles with a serrated knife and separate slightly.

6.  Bake until biscuits are firm to the touch, 8 to 10 minutes.

7.  Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Once cool, store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.

0 comments:

Post a Comment